arrow_upward
Weight loss
How should I approach working out as an overweight guy? I'm self conscious about my body and very nervous about going to a public gym. Any advice?

[+] 5 users Like Futurepm72's post
Weightloss is all about caloric deficit. Gym is extra. Just stop eating so much, that's all.

[+] 1 user Likes Melanie-tan's post
You need a good diet to go with exercise. Look into doing slow carbs.

[+] 1 user Likes thundereder9t8y's post
Just start at home. Don't even need expensive equipment. Try googling some home exercises and when you feel better about yourself try joining the gym.

Don't be self conscious OP, I think a lot of us (myself included) have been there, or are there. 

First, just look at your diet, and figure out what needs to be cut.  Cut out your soda and focus on water and milk.  Avoid the junk food, and start making meat sandwiches, tuna sandwiches, and other lean meats.  Eat fruits for snacks.  A lot of this is going to be body modification.

When you go to the gym, if you're really self conscious, then wear a plain-colored (not white or gray) tshirt that covers your gut.  Wear shorts that are long.  Both of those helped me when I was really self-conscious.

If your goal is to lose weight, then google yourself a good workout on how to lose weight in the gym.  If you can't stand running, the stationary bikes will be good for you.  You'll drink probably at least a full liter of water while working out.  Be sure to wear good shoes with good inserts cuz your feet will be sore if you don't.

Don't overwork yourself and start off simple.

Good luck!

I’m someone who’s lost 100+ lbs before. Depending on your financial situation, get a cardio machine or walk outside. Don’t start running until you’ve already lost some weight because it’s hell on your joints. 

If you want to speed up the process, get some dumbbells and do free weight exercises. Push-ups and sit-ups are tried and true. Just don’t push it too hard or you’ll be sore af for days, interrupting your workout routine. 

Consistency and discipline are key - best of luck to you!

Now is a great time to start, many are feeling self conscious about weight gain during covid. Every gym has a few dickheads but you've definitely got this! If you're looking for decent workouts as someone very new to gym workouts I recommend either a full body or upper lower split. From a weight training perspective you want to focus on your largest muscle groups to maximize the calories burned post workout(legs, back, chest , shoulders, arms, in that order) and compound movements are your best friend, things like squats, deadlifts and cleans are great, start light, ask for help with your technique and be patient. If youre looking for an at home routine I'd start with low intensity steady state cardio before breakfast, think a brisk walk around your neighborhood for strength training I'd go straight prison workout 25 up on pushups and bodyweight squats ( start with a set of 1 rep, and increase by 1 every time until you hit 25, [1, 2, 3...24, 25]) back training is most easily done through oullups if you have a bar or hit up a playground super early in the am or late at night. Then theres diet, there are hubdreds of thousands of diet articles that all say different things, weight loss is purely about calorie deficit and you'll need to experiment with how many carbs to protein to fat that you need to stay effective. i know carbs are the devil for me, so i normally limit myself to just ~100g a day of carbs. I’d use a tdee calculator to get a rough estimate of your caloric needs and some ideas for how to break up your diet and start testing. Discipline is ultimately the key here, being consistent both in routine and diet will yield results. You didnt put the weight on in a day, it wont come off in a day either. Good luck!

Lots of water to drink

Don't get discouraged if you gain a bit of weight while working out. That means you're gaining muscle mass, but it also means you've burned off fat. This is a good thing.

Also, don't get discouraged if the fat you're trying to lose takes a while to burn off. Losing fat is sometimes like finding ways to defend yourself from your psycho stalker ex-girlfriend who keeps coming through your window at night to use her dragon dildos on you.

I am surprised that it's not been mentioned before but the primary thing to do in this case is to stand back and take look at your daily routine. You'll find that you spend most of your time sitting or spending very little energy. Make sure to change this. For example, if you go home and watch TV for 2 hours every day, go out and take a 2 hour walk instead. If you don't want to go out, take a stroll inside of your place. You eat most of the stuff while sitting, so this helps sorting out your diet as well.

Definitely diet. Courage comes with a better body, so don't think about how you're feeling now. You can't change yourself without changing yourself. First, eat well and exercise. Rest less if needed. If you can turn this into a routine, you should have a nice body that you're confident of in a couple of months.

dont be a loser about it

Lose weight in the kitchen, gain muscle in the gym. No need to be nervous about going as everyone is there to work on themselves and not look at others.

Stop eating bread, sauce and drink milk can help a lot to loss weight !

Don't worry about how you look. Everyone at the gym is there to better themselves. Best of luck?

Try 16/8 technique

Be confident and forget about what others think.

trying eating less caloric dense foods

Keto is really good. I've always been bad with diets, but keto is still food I enjoy and I managed to lose 4lbs in my first week.

start small and work your way up