arrow_upward
Starting programming
I've been trying to get into programming, but have gotten stumped on picking which language to start learning first.
Any suggestions?

Python's a great first language. It's easy to setup, and fairly simple. Plus, it's super popular so there's tons of tutorials and guides out there.

check out codingbat for some sample problems, they are great for mastering any language

Although they are plenty of excellent online resources, maybe consider taking some cheap intro to cs classes at a local CC.

Python was my first programming language, It was a smooth learning experience, wasnt too hard, wasnt straight up easy either. Pick a language and stick to it, practice eaach day and youll master it easy.

java will teach you fundamentals and is easy, but python probably is best choice for beginners

Javascript is good if you are intending to go into web development

Take are three most popular language, and choose road web or program pc or mobile or gaming

Python or JavaScript is a great start, people often say it is bad to pick one of these two as it will be difficult to transition to a different language, but the fact of the matter is that most programming languages all boil down to the same thing.

I recommend Python

I suggest you to study c first. 
Once you master it, it will be great base for studying and expanding to other language

If you want to be serious about programming, I think its important to learn with an object oriented language like Java.

OOP is definitely where you want to head. it's easier to start off with something like python where the syntax is a bit more lax or java

I'm not sure how easy it would be to learn java as a first language, but Alex Lee on youtube made some tutorials that really helped me in the very beginning. Yeah I'm not as experienced as some other people but he really did help get my feet off the ground and looking at his channel now he seems to have wayyy more stuff than when I used his videos. Just make sure to branch out and try things without following a tutorial step for step, otherwise you won't really get your training wheels off.

Python and Java are fine starting languages. Learning the concepts is more important than the language

I learned basic in the 90s when I was a kid. There was so little information out there in the infancy of the internet. Internet forums were completely different, but that's another story. I'd learn a new technique and my creative mind would think up ideas I could build with and I'd grind until I could make them happen. I don't envy those learning today because there are so many options and so many libraries for everything.

I don't recommend looking externally for project ideas; direct yourself. As you learn, just make up your own ideas. 99.9% of the stuff I've ever written was just testing and learning for no end purpose. Enjoy the process.

That aside, I've written in C++ for over 20 years now. I didn't ever "choose" it, it really chose me. I find that it is our tools that dictate our creativity. Don't fret the first language, mine was basic for a couple of years. Just enjoy the process.

Maybe javascript is worth exploring these days, it's a sweet language, even if web is a complete shit show.

I think Python for starting is good enough:
- Largely used
- Easy for starting and there are tons of well structured free beginners books (such as this

RE: Starting programming.

Registered Members Only

You need to be a registered member to see more on RE: Starting programming.
Login or Sign up to get access to a huge variety of top quality leaks.
)
- Once you get confident enough to write your own stuff, you'll be able to find a lot of support online.

But, before doing this, I warmly welcome you to find a good editor and stick with it and start scripts on command line. I've seen a lot of people starting with IDEs (myself, too, back in college) but it's not easier for starters, nor helpful. I'd install VCS (

RE: Starting programming.

Registered Members Only

You need to be a registered member to see more on RE: Starting programming.
Login or Sign up to get access to a huge variety of top quality leaks.
) and just use it as Notepad for starting. Then once you'll get familiar with it, you'll notice tons of helpful commands there for you' to use for writing code. They've always been there but you didn't notice them. And, more importantly, the same editor will work perfectly even for other programming languages!

I've used C, C++, python, matlab, javascript, R, and a few others.
Python is a good start. Get pycharm to use as an editor, it works really well without having to change the default settings. It also automatically creates virtual environments for you. So if you stuff up everything you can just delete the environment without breaking your python install.