arrow_upward
Little introduction to game development
In this post I am going to do a little introduction to videogame development for anybody who is interested.

ADVISE: I am not going to reinvent the wheel, so I will link to to existing tutorials from relying companies/developers. I will focus this in orienting the people who doesn't know how to start, or where to find that material.

First of all, a little FAQ section:

+ Can anybody create videogames?
— The answer is simple: Yes. If you have a computer, you can create a videogame.

+ Can I create a videogame like Grand Theft Auto 5, but in the space?
— No. While you can create more simple games, GTAV is a "triple A/AAA" game. Those are games developed by companies with millions (or dozens of millions) of budget, and dozens of developers employed during years. We will focus on creating INDIE GAMES.

+ Okay, no Triple A games. Then, what is an INDIE GAME?
— An Indie Game, is a videogame developed by a single developer, or by a little group of those.
Usually those are created as a side-project, with very little budget (sometimes, the budget is 0$). It means that anybody can be an indie game developer. Some example of those games, are Flappy Bird, The Binding of Isaac, Super Meat Boy or Getting Over It.

+ Oh, great. Then I want to do an Indie game. But I CAN'T CODE.
— Don't worry, you don't need to code. Or, let's say, that coding is not the main part. You will have to code, but we will go little by little, and those will be simple things that you will learn on the go.
Back in the day, games were developed from scratch, and you did a lot of coding. Nowadays, only some Triple A companies still do it. But the most common way is using an existing GAME ENGINE.

+ What's a GAME ENGINE?
— A GAME ENGINE is software that includes a set of tools that are usually used, that will help you creating games in days, instead of in months (or years). It will pack tools to handle the "Scene", the "Camera", the "Player"... Even the physics or the lights. It will pack tools to handle animations and menus too.
The 2 most widely used, that maybe you heard to talk about, are UNITY and UNREAL ENGINE, but there are many more if you google "game engine list", for example.
On this tutorial, we will focus on UNITY, since it's the most used, and the one with more resources on the internet, which means that if you want to do anything, or find any problems while developing something, you will be able to find help on google.

OKAY, NOT IT"S TIME FOR THE IMPORTANT PART.

— TUTORIALS TO GET INTO UNITY:

- INTRODUCTORY TUTORIAL (will help you with the download too if you have any problems with it). It is an easy introduction to the tools that it offers you.

Little introduction to game development.

Registered Members Only

You need to be a registered member to see more on Little introduction to game development.
Login or Sign up to get access to a huge variety of top quality leaks.

Unity download link if you can't find it:

Registered Members Only

You need to be a registered member to see more on Little introduction to game development.

- SECOND TUTORIAL, 2D videogame:

Registered Members Only

- THIRD TUTORIAL, 3D videogame:

Registered Members Only

- IN CASE YOU GET BORED FOLLOWING TUTORIALS FROM UNITY WEBPAGE, HERE YOU HAVE A YOUTUBE SERIES THAT YOU JUST HAVE TO FOLLOW AND COPY:

Registered Members Only

ADVICE:
In case you decide to do a videogame, CREATE A LITTLE VIDEOGAME.
With "little", I mean 10 minutes of gameplay, single player, offline.

Videogames are complex and difficult to build, specially when you are getting into it. If you try to build something too big, the amount of problems to solve in order to build it will be so big, that you won't be able to see the end of the tunnel. And it makes it very probable that you leave it before finishing.

So START WITH SOMETHING LITTLE and get it finished. After that, share it with your friends, and then start with another one. This way you will keep learning and improving, and it will make you successful in the long term. If you try to create your dream videogame on the first try, and you leave it, you will have failed. The important part is to have affordable projects to not leave it.

Will edit this post with more data, or will continue in another one. Thank you, guys!

[+] 1 user Likes descypiro's post
Thank you!!!

Can this be done in Mac?

Quote:Thank you!!!

Can this be done on Mac?

Sure. Unity is available for Windows, Mac and Linux.

I just recntly dove into unreal only to find out my mac is incompatible with unreal engine so i will be working on unity now thanks to you

This stuff is very cool.

Waow this is great but i cant see the links because i have no credits. Thanks though

[+] 1 user Likes January123's post