arrow_upward
Is there an asterisk?
This is a question that applies across sports, though possibly at varying degrees; but I was wondering, with COVID forcing all American professional sports leagues to adjust how their games were played (in terms of fans, locations, etc) do you think that championships won by teams are a little diminished historically? Personally, I don't believe that they should be. The games were still played and won, but I've heard others argue the opposite. What say you?

I don't think an asterisk diminishes it, just says that it was different. Which it was. I don't think the championships this year are any less than other years', but trying to compare them just doesn't work.

[+] 1 user Likes Consistent-Speech-13's post
That's very fair, it's certainly not apples and apples, so it makes sense to look at things differently.

I mean, in the case of baseball, they are playing an extra round and there’s no home field advantage. The regular season played out mostly like one might have expected with the cream rising to the top. And the World Series has the two top records in baseball, so seems like this was a harder title to win rather than easier. Can’t see any reason there should be discussion of an asterisk.

that's a fair point but i think although the premise is intriguing it doesn't really apply in most cases.

The nba I think definitely needs and deserves an asterisks given how different the environment they were playing in was. However I think baseball has had a good and fair setup even having fans at some playoff games, so I really don’t think their postseason went too differently than it otherwise would have.