arrow_upward
Is pay to win bad or necessary with an aging player base?
How do you guys feel about pay to win mechanics in games? I am okay with paying for stuff as long as it is also available to players through reasonable grinding or playing of the game. I am busy with lame stuff these days and cannot play as much as I want so I would be okay with paying a few bucks to get that sword that someone who had the time played 20 hours to get but I would personally find it to be a problem if the sword was super powerful and only available with real cash.
I used to be super against any sort of pay for gain mechanics in games when I was younger but as I get older I find it easier to drop a few bucks instead of grinding for hours I dont have and stay somewhat competitive in games but maybe I am just a rich duck. What are people's thoughts on it?

[+] 1 user Likes copperhusk's post
I've been a player of Clash of Clans for 5 years. Last year I decided to buy their pass which gives you a lot of great stuff and also some discounts on the construction time. I don't think it's a fair way of playing games but it's becoming more and more frequent...

dont mind the paying as long as the resources are obtainable for free players through grinding

Unfortunately this is becoming a standard in Gaming nowadays and people are accepting it slowly, so for me personally I feel like get against this is just scream to the void, I find no issues when the developers let you get everything equally with a decent grind, coming from a developer point of view I can understand the work that it takes publish a very well designed game, but sometimes they just go very hard with the micro transactions.

I don't like pay to win, specially when devs make the game extra grindy for the sake of "forcing" you into paying to getting that cool looking weapon, but if the grind is well balanced then it's fair.

I think allowing shortcuts to free content that involves a time investment into the game is fine. However, when there is a clear advantage to premium items compared to free items, then it's actually paying to win. I think it's more so an issue in games that have pvp. If it's pve, then as long as free to play players can actually progress in game then paying for shortcuts just support the developers and should be fine.