arrow_upward
Can shortened or altered seasons produce a legit champion?
I think in some cases like the NBA or NHL, perhaps yes. They were wrapping up their seasons and now have a semi-normal playoff structure. For MLB, it’s weird to have such a short seasons and not at all normal to have 16 teams in the playoffs. The champ there will almost certainly not be the best team as a result of the extra playoff rounds. And now college football is playing with only 3 of the 5 big conferences- can they have a real champ?

[+] 1 user Likes Jwolf4's post
With whole conferences in college football dropping out it seems this year won’t be quite the same hopefully next year will be better.

I think a champ can be crowned in a shortened season but not unless all competitors that are usually present are all participating

Agree that all teams have to be there. Possible exception to NBA where they just cut the teams that weren’t gonna make it.

I think they still count as champs!  Duration of season aside, they still need to pass through a stressful playoff series which, sure, is different than it was in prior years but all of the teams are in the same situation.  None have more time to practice together or gel team dynamics than any others.  Since the situation for all teams is the same, despite the changed playoff formats, I think the champions in each sport are still going to have earned their place.

The proof will be in the pudding to some degree. If the Marlins and a White Sox play for the World Series, may be a sign the short season wasn’t very telling of who is truly great.