arrow_upward
Best GameCube controller
What’s the best GameCube controller particularly for smash ultimate? Been getting into the game and want the most competitive edge.

Most non-originals are either bad or break early.
I heard Hori has a good quality standard.

If you plan to go to offline tournaments, you'll probably need a first party GGController. You have to read the specific rules.

Without getting to much into detail, there are two kinds of official ones.

Those before (1)WiiU and (2)the newer ones.
I believe neither of them will break earlier then the other.
The newer ones' surfaces are kind of soft, so they might get notches, but that's only visual.
The newer ones also have a longer cable and are a bit bigger.
So they feel a bit different, you might try both before deciding for one.
The older controllers are more expensive, so second hand is the way to go.
Imo your hands sweat more on older controllers, that's normally something you try to avoid.

I personally still prefer the old controllers.

The controllers stickboxes can also vary in quality (there are 3 tiers). If you are interested in that, google will help.

If you are interested in modding (what I list here should be allowed in most tournaments):
Some people prefer the Wii Nunchuck stick, it is higher. It is easy to change in the controller.
Some people shorten the springs in de L and R buttons, so pushing requiers less strength (easy too).
Extreme tryhards carve notches in the controller shell around the left stick, so that the stick get easily snap into specific angles.
This last mod is not easy and should only be done by experienced modders. Also I am not sure ho relevant it is in ultimate. Mabey it's only 'worth' for melee.

That said keep in mind, the better player will win 99% of the games, even with a worse (original) controller.