arrow_upward
New football (I mean soccer) rules (ideas topic)
Hi guys. I often watch football. Well, I mean soccer: I'm European, so... Smile 
But some things really annoy me, and I think they would be easy to correct. So here's some ideas that I would implement right away:

1. Stop the watch! Only real play time, like in basketball. No more wasting time on purpose.  My suggestion would be 60 min of real play time.
2. No more yellow/red cards. Use a system like in basketball: every player has the right to commit X fouls (maybe 5, maybe less, maybe more), and then he's expelled.
3. For big fouls (violent tackles, interrupting a promising attack on purpose, etc), I'm undecided, so here are several solutions :
    - They count as 2 fouls
    - The player is expelled directly
    - The player is expelled but only during a certain amount of time (X minutes)
4. No more eliminations. Playing 10 against 11 or 9 against 11 is unfair. Like in basketball, if a player is expelled, he can be replaced by somebody else.
5. Off-sides. Instead of taking into account any part of the body, for off-sides just take into account the feet of both players. Makes much more sense.
6. Hands: back to the "referee's interpretation" rule. Sure, there can be a lot of guidelines and recommendations, but ultimately he referee decides if, in any particular context, a hand must be considered "hand" (and as such cause a penalty) or not.
7. No playing backwards. I would do like in basketball: once the ball has crossed the center line, it cannot go into the back half of the field again. Well, not exactly:
    - I would draw a line at 40% of the field's length (and another at 60% for the other team)
    - Once the ball crosses the center line (50%), it can go slightly backwards until it reaches the 40% line (so center defenders can still play it), but never behind it.
    - That means the goalkeeper can play the ball until it crosses the center line. After that, players cannot send the ball back to the goalkeeper anymore. They need to take risks.

Well, that's a good start I guess. Feel free to add your own suggestions! Smile